Hundreds of brands, with their thousand beauty and cosmetic products in a single world, “BEAUTY”. Beauty leads millions of women to be as flashing as celebrities. The glamorous world is full of beauty and skin care products. But did we think, what we are applying into our skin? A natural product or a chemical formula? Most of the people think that they are using a natural product because that brand has claimed to be. But these are nothing but fake commitments.
The beauty specialists are concerned with the fact of chemical blend in skin care and beauty products. They always take care of these harmful elements while buying their skincare regimen. In the opposite, some people are not aware of the harmful chemical they are consuming, the count is huge.
As per research, our skin absorbs 60% of chemical from the product. It will then come to the direct surface of the bloodstream and causes skin diseases as in allergies, itchiness, burn, red patches, etc. So it likes the same of eating chemical, it goes directly into the body.
So, ladies, it’s up to you, that you really wanna continue that chemical trash or you want to be aware of your purchase.
We are going to guide you with the list of chemical and animal substrain products that you should cross check from your buying list.
1. Parabens: The most eco-chemical preservative, often used in beauty products to keep them fresh. Parabens prevent bacteria, germs, mold, fungus, and parasites build up in a product, especially in the hot and stifling atmosphere. Approximately 60% of cosmetic and skin care products contain this chemical.
Paraben is also known as Propylparaben, Methylparaben, IIsoparaben, Butylparaben. This bunch of chemical has an estrogenic effect as it imitates estrogen in the body and interrupts our natural hormonal balance.
There are several consumer and health practitioner’s pressure on consumers to reduce or remove the remaining compounds of paraben from products. Some results show that paraben causes breast tumor and breast cancer. Though there is no conclusive evidence of it, still some research proved it.
Paraben can be found in every skin and body care products, cleanser, face-wash, moisturizer, cream and even in pharmaceutical products as well.
Alternatives: Vitamin E, rosemary extract, fermented radish root, grapefruit seed extract, sodium benzoate, and antioxidant oils such as almond, avocado, and hemp seed oil. Phenoxyethanol and Ethylhexylglycerin are also two concerning alternative because they might cause skin irritation.
2. Phthalates: This toxin element used in beauty products like nail polish, shampoo, moisturizer, creams to make them smooth and soft. This element causes breast cancer, hormonal imbalance, asthma, reproductive defects (male and female), and diabetes. Phthalates have Dibutyl phthalate, which been classified as a “probable human carcinogen” by the EPA.
Phthalates used to create a fragrance in products, suggested not to use. Use products with no fragrance.
Alternatives: Di Propylene Glycol, Isopropyl Myristate, Benzyl Benzoate, Resins
3. Fragrance: Fragrance is a bunch of secret ingredients which makes scents. Almost 80% of beauty products like lip balms, lipsticks, moisturizers, and most importantly body deodorants and perfumes are made of fragrance.
Manufacturers use this component to make artificial fragrance because people are attracted to scented products. The scary part is, law wise, companies do not require to tell what secret ingredients they are mixing to create that artificial scent. So we are not able to know what chemical we are using in the name of the perfume. The FDA also said that fragrance blends are responsible for up to 30% of all allergic reactions to skincare products.
Alternatives: Don’t buy any cheap product with cheap packaging. Try fragrance-free products with essential oils.
4. Triclosan: Also known as Microban, is another preservative chemical used in skin care products. People blend this chemical in products because of its antibacterial and antifungal properties. Triclosan works negatively in the human body, cause hormone imbalance and affect the immune system.
It also mimics human fat cells and often spotted in breast milk, blood, and urine.
Alternatives: Essential oils such as rosemary, lavender, thyme, and citrus.
5. SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate): This chemical ingredient is found in 90% of beauty products. SLS is the chemical element that turns a product into a thick and smooth solution. SLS usually found in fash wash, shampoo, etc, to increase more and more foaming.
With the huge health concern, this chemical can penetrate the skin and may cause skin irritation, eye allergy or irritation and possible endocrine disruption.
It is also common in other foaming products like dish wash liquid, car wash soap, etc.
Alternative: Coco-glucoside, decyl glucoside, saponified carrier oils or Castile soaps (such as coconut, olive oil, and sunflower oils) and any foam-free natural products.
6. Petrochemicals: Petrochemicals as in, petroleum and mineral oils are being used in almost every product. But petroleum is FDA approved and the result shows it to be the best ingredient for dry skin. This ingredient makes the skin smooth and soft. The highly purified form of this ingredient used in skin care products. Still, there is a concern about using petroleum and mineral oils in skin care product and cause cancer and nerve damage.
There is no such natural replacement of petroleum. A study in 2009 shows that mineral oils have the potential to increase tumor growth.
Alternatives: Natural ingredients such as vegetable glycerin, coconut oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, raw honey, and shea butter and Jao Brand Goe Oil.
7. Alcohol: We repeatedly heard of brands saying that, this beauty product is alcohol-free. That means a large portion of beauty products are contain alcohol in them. The vast beauty industry uses this key ingredient in their products. However, it actually considered being a harmful skincare element. But the question is what kind of alcohol they mix in their products? “Dry alcohol” is the answer. But many users shows that this dry alcohol does not harm their skin, invertedly they work well!
Alcohol is used to keep a product smooth and it helps the skin to absorb the product fast. That is why many brands use this ingredient in their lotion or moisturizers. But alcohol can damage skin surface and make your skin unhealthy, dry and flaky.
Alternative: The best alternative is a natural ingredient like “fatty alcohol” derived from natural oil and fats. This ingredient is best and does not damage skin, in fact, it moisture the skin naturally.
The other chemical compounds often found in cosmetic and skin care products are, Hydroquinone, Oxybenzone, Formaldehyde, Coal tar, Synthetic colors, Propylene Glycol, etc.
Here comes a question in mind, then what are the best replacement of these chemical skin care products? We do have an answer for that also.
Many renowned brands and rising brands are spreading awareness by making natural vegan beauty products. These brands are raising their voice against chemical use in beauty products. They are using natural organic products from the environment to make harm-free best skin care products for their buyers.
What is Vegan beauty products? Simple. Vegan beauty products do not contain any harmful chemical, and completely safe for use. No allergic reaction or any skin problem occurs because of vegan beauty products. Beauty enthusiasts and celebrities are going crazy for vegan and cruelty-free beauty products. Therefore, beauty salon and spa therapy center’s are also invented their own vegan-friendly beauty products for customers better skin and hair treatment.
Cruelty-free simply defines that, a product is not tested in any animal for human interest. Many brands are in support of animal cruelty-free products. Similarly, a brand named Olychka Eluxe says to say no animal testing beauty brands. This brand has listed its name as the brand of cruelty-free and Vegan-friendly beauty products. They have a huge amount of beauty care products, starting from skin care, body care to hair care, they have each compulsory and daily needed products for all beauty acre lovers. Each product is vegan and cruelty-free, as the owner support “No Harm To Animals”.
The founder, Olga quoted “ Olychka is here to help you plant beauty beneath the skin and uncover a true glow as your splendid complexion blossoms to the surface, with the help of our perfectly-formulated and harm-free skin products”. She also said “ Olychka exists to knock out the perception that natural skin care is less effective. Chemicals aren’t needed for optimal results, and our products stand as proof”.
The deadly blend of dangerous chemicals in skin care products raising chemical mutagen. It’s high time to take a permanent break from your daily toxin beauty products to live a healthy life and give your skin a natural botanical treatment before it’s too late. High aroma means highly dangerous. Start using natural and organic beauty products available in the market. Do purchase by verifying the vegan and cruelty-free approved logo.
Also, try to maintain a healthy lifestyle along with healthy skin. Eat healthy foods, pamper your skin, because you deserve something better than this.